Works

Geothermal Energy in the Globe


According to an analysis published in Pike Research, there are about 450 i geothermal projects under development. The geothermal systemsonce in operation, they will be able to produce 18 GW of electricity.


L'geothermal industry it has only experienced concrete growth in the last few decades. The projects under development involve 64 countries and it is estimated that only 10 percent of the projects involve the construction of latest generation plants, the remaining 90 percent involve the construction of geothermal systems conventional, that is, capable of extracting energy from the most superficial layers of the soil, without carrying out deep drilling procedures as envisaged with the "deep drilling project ".

Why are there still so few so-called "deep drilling project“?
Such advanced geothermal systems are still too little known. Sector experts are scarce as well as investments: few geographic areas are economically ready to face such an evolution, among these is Ireland where the National Energy Authority of Installnda (Orkustofnun), together with four Icelandic company, is completing a project that extracts energy from the subsoil, we are talking about a depth that exceeds 4,000 meters! It may seem strange to you, but Italy is also involved in a project Deep Drilling.

The Campi Flegrei Deep Drilling Project (CFDDP) is an international scientific research project aimed at understanding the volcanic dynamics, the first drilling phase has already been carried out reaching a depth of 500 meters, the second phase involves reaching a depth of 3 , 5 km. Even if the CFDDP was not born for the production of geothermal energy, there will be many energy implications, in fact the CFDDP aims at the development of advanced technologies for environmental monitoring, development of sustainable and eco-compatible methodologies for the optimal use ofgeothermal energy. When we talk about the Phlegraean Fields we are referring to a geographical area that involves some towns in the province of Naples.

Chile, Indonesia and Kenya are the countries that count the most geothermal systems under development. The United States, in 2012, installed a capacity of 175 MW through geothermal systems but growth plans currently include an imminent addition of over 5,000 MW.

When it comes to renewables, in the collective imagination, thegeothermal energy is counted last. We immediately think of wind and solar energy, yet a geothermal plant is built with much shorter times, the only problem is related to bureaucracy. Governments must adopt more streamlined procedures: it takes 5-7 years to approve a project.


Video: Geothermal Energy Options - How It Works (October 2020).