THEartichokes they lend themselves to many recipes in the kitchen but can also be kept to have them available all year round. Obviously the preserves made with our hands are more genuine and healthier! Here's how to prepare the canned artichokes to be enjoyed all year round.
Natural canned artichokes
- Clean i artichokes,remove the stalk and the outer leaves
- Put i artichokes in a bowl with water and squeezed lemon then leave them for 10 minutes
- Put a saucepan with salted water on the stove and bring to a boil
- Take some fairly large sterilized glass jars and place inside the artichokes so that there is not too much space between one and the other
- Alternate i artichokes with bay leaves and black peppercorns
- Fill the jars with water boiled to the brim
- Close the jars tightly and allow to cool
- Wrap the jars with tea towels and put them in a pot with water and then let them simmer for an hour
- Turn off the heat and let the jars cool in the pot
- When the jars have cooled, take the jars, dry them and store them in a cool and dry place.
Canned artichokes in oil
- Clean i artichokes and put them in acidulated water
- Prepare a large pot and put in a liter of white wine and a glass of white vinegar, add some peppercorns, cloves and a bay leaf and bring to a boil
- Boil i artichokes, a few at a time, for about 5 minutes
- Withdraw i artichokes with a slotted spoon and place them on a tea towel with the leaves facing down so that the internal water is absorbed by the fabric
- Let dry i artichokes for 12 - 18 hours then place them in sterilized glass jars alternating them with peppercorns, bay leaves and cloves
- Cover the jars with extra virgin olive oil, wait an hour and refill to the brim: this step is used to absorb the artichokes a part of the oil. To best preserve them, they must be completely covered with oil
- Close the jars tightly and store in a cool, dry place
- Wait two months before consuming them, so that they gain flavor.