L'organic garden provides for the cultivation of vegetables in respect of the environment, consequently involving 100% natural foods: all stages of cultivation are carried out without the use of chemicals. Cultivate the organic garden therefore it involves particular procedures.
The organic garden, directions
Cultivate the‘organic garden it means fertilizing the earth with natural products, completely eliminating the use of chemicals. Those who keep an organic garden, the thing they need to pay more attention to is prevention, preserving the garden from diseases and parasitic attacks. Here are some pointers:
- Make sure that the garden is well exposed to the sun and sheltered from the wind
- Check the composition of the soil to establish which natural substances to integrate to make it more fertile
- Prepare the soil by removing the stones and any weeds that could remove water and nourishment from the soil, with the help of a hoe
- Fertilize the soil with manure, droppings, organic compost or manure: green fertilization is also very valid, which consists in preparing the earth with grass cut into small pieces and then left to decompose directly on the ground
- Proceed with the sowing of the vegetables by making deep holes according to the size of the seeds, which must be strictly organic: if the seeds are very large, the furrow must be quite large for small seeds just make small holes close to the ground
- After planting the seeds, cover the holes with soil
- To prevent the onset of fungal diseases, it is essential to water the plants using the drip method to avoid dangerous water stagnation: rainwater can also be used, to be collected in special containers.
The organic garden, prevention
- For the prevention and treatment of the main diseases that can damage the organic garden, it is advisable to cultivate early or late varieties of vegetables with a vegetative cycle that does not coincide chronologically with the biological one of their specific parasites
- Planting hedges close to the vegetable garden to allow the spread of small insectivorous animals
- Enter some pest antagonist insects directly into the environment, using biological control
- If diseases and parasites have attacked theorganic garden, manually remove both adult parasites and their larvae: for a less demanding remedy, there are very effective natural insecticides such as vegetable macerates or fungicides based on copper and sulfur.
The organic garden, the choice of vegetables
When choosing vegetables, it is preferable to focus on those with greater resistance to adversity, especially against diseases. Among the vegetables we find: onion, garlic, basil, parsley, lettuce, tomatoes and zucchini.
If you don't have much space, you can grow vegetables in containers, in pots to be placed on the terraces.