The vegetables in batter they represent a fast, tasty and substantial second course. For some vegetables like zucchini, it is advisable to put them in salt for an hour to remove the vegetation water, thus preventing them from becoming too soft. Below you will find the recipe for making the vegetables in batter in a crunchy way.
Vegetables in batter, the necessary
Olive oil (for frying vegetables)
Useful information: the batter it can be prepared by adding to the aforementioned ingredients the egg white of a whipped egg or half a glass of beer. Other recipes require the use of sparkling water rather than normal water or a pinch of yeast.
Vegetables in batter, the procedure
- Mix the ingredients until you get a homogeneous creamy mixture: the batter it must be solid and not liquid, since in any case vegetables generally release water, thus diluting the mixture by itself.
- Cut the vegetables such as courgettes, aubergines, courgette flowers, etc. in strips: in the case of artichokes, these must be cut into wedges.
- Pour the olive oil into a high-bottomed pan and wait for the oil to become very hot: be careful not to burn the oil
- Put the vegetables one by one in the batter and pass them in abundant hot oil
- As soon as they are golden, remove from the heat and place them on absorbent paper
- Serve while still hot with a few mint leaves: cold they lose their fragrance.
Vegetables in batter, useful tips
- As far as cooking is concerned, it is advisable before frying them to blanch the vegetables for a few minutes if they are very solid or particularly hard: this is the case with artichokes.
- There batteralso, it must be done at least an hour before frying, the result will be better.
- It is preferable to fry the vegetables in batter in a pan deep enough to contain enough oil to cover the vegetables immersed.
- Dip a few vegetables at a time in boiling oil and remove them with a slotted spoon, without sticking them with forks or knives.