Artificial repellents are not the only solution to ward off mosquitoes. These annoying insects can be eliminated with the use of trapsdo-it-yourself, is the case of the very popularanti-mosquito bottle, a trap that uses natural components as bait, harmless and easy to find. Build oneanti-mosquito bottleit's simple and cheap: to make this trap it is possible to use recycled materials!
What do you need to build one mosquito trap?
- abottle2 liter PET
- 1 gram of yeast
- 200 grams of hot water
- 50 grams of sugar
- an old dark rag
Themosquitoesthey manage to locate theirsdelicious morselsthanks to a mix of carbon dioxide, heat and body humidity. Theremosquito repellent bottlewill artificially recreate this mixture by attracting and catching mosquitoes. Here's how to go about building the trap:
- With a pair of scissors, cut the plastic bottle just above the top edge of the label.
- Pour a glass of water with 50 grams of sugar into the base of the bottle.
- Add the yeast.
- Take the top half of the bottle. Remove the cap and turn it over by inserting it into the plastic base.
- With an old dark cloth, wrap the base of the bottle. Even better if you soak the rag with hot water. If you don't have a expendable rag, rather than buying it, you can use a dark bag like those used for the collection of unsorted garbage.
- Set the bait in the garden or near a window. Wait for the poor unfortunates, attracted by the heat and gas released by the bottle, to end up drowning in the liquid concoction.
Anti-mosquito trivia: The fragrant geraniums have been renamed "mosquitaway" because of their ability to repel mosquitoes and midges. They have abundant blooms and are perfect for balconies and terraces.