A modeling paste very suitable for creating and modeling everything that our imagination can conceive is the salt dough, without neglecting the fact that it is a non-toxic material and therefore very suitable for games for the whole family. With the salt dough you can create puppets, animals, decorations for every holiday, decorate the Christmas tree, decorate the table or close the gift boxes. You can create nice festoons and garlands that give joy to the most colorful balls of the year. Without forgetting that Halloween is coming in a few days, maybe we can embellish the table with some themed decorations. But let's see in detail how to make salt dough, following our step by step recipe.
Salt dough, the ingredients
- 250 grams of flour
- 125 grams of fine salt
- 25 ml. of seed or olive oil
- 150 ml. of water
Salt dough, the dough
- Pour the flour and salt into a plastic container, then add the oil and water
- Mix and knead everything vigorously until all the ingredients are mixed well, adding more water if necessary.
- Once you have a consistent dough, place it on the floured work surface then continue to knead it with your hands for a few minutes until the mixture is round and smooth.
Salt dough, cooking
- Place the dough in the oven at 130◦ over very low heat for about 4/5 hours and
- After this time, let it cool for a few minutes
Here she is salt dough ready to be modeled to your liking
Salt dough, useful information
- If you try your hand at making puppets, it may happen that the legs and arms do not adhere well, in this case it will be enough to moisten them with a little water: it will act as a natural glue.
- You can also paint your masterpiece with watercolor paint or tempera paints
- For a shiny effect and to prevent the object from absorbing moisture, we can brush it with a beaten egg yolk together with a spoonful of water. You will then have to bake it for another 30 minutes.
- To keep the leftover salt dough, just put it back in a tightly closed container and put it in the fridge: you can use it for another 6 months.