Themackerelis a typicalblue fish, appreciated in the kitchen for its meat and its nutritional properties. In the Mediterranean diet itmackerelit is noted for its intake of omega-3 fatty acids, particularly suitable for those suffering from high cholesterol. After this little introduction, let's move on torecipesand let's seehow to cook mackerel.
How to clean mackerel
The rules seen for blue fish apply:
- With a pair of scissors cut the belly lengthwise, starting from the anal fin.
- Eviscera itmackereland wash it immediately under plenty of running water.
- Eliminate, with scissors, the dorsal fin, the tail and the ventral fins.
- If the specimen is particularly large, you can fillet it.
To fillet the fish you need a thin and flexible knife so as not to waste and spoil the meat. For all the instructions: how to fillet the fish.
How to cook mackerel
Therecipesin which to use this fish are many. THEmackerel filletsthey can be cooked in foil, in a pan (stewed) or you canbreadingto create tasty fried foods. In the low-calorie diet, mackerel can be prepared in the oven (decreasing the seasonings) or boiled.
How to make boiled mackerel
You can use themackerel fillets or whole fish. When cooked, the fish can be enriched with citronette and aromas. Let's see how to cook boiled mackerel.
The ingredients are simple: a mackerel, water for cooking, coarse salt, garlic and mint. To season, raw, a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and lemon (or vinegar).
- Let the water boil
- Flavor the water with crushed garlic and mind. You can treat both mint and garlic with a garlic press, so you will drain the pulp without bringing you pieces of garlic that can have an annoying taste.
- When the water boils, put it downmackerelalready cleaned on the bottom of the pot.
- Cook for about 10 minutes.
- Turn off, drain it immediatelyboiled mackerel, let it cool and then season with oil and vinegar.
THEfillets of boiled mackerelthey can be flavored with a very fresh and aromatic citronette: combine lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil, black pepper, salt and chopped mint (or parsley).
How to cook mackerel in the oven
Thebaked mackerelit can be served in different patterns:
- black olives, capers, tomatoes and peppers.
- Potatoes and parsley.
- Mixed vegetables such as zucchini, potatoes, carrots, fennel, cabbage, spring onions, celery, bell pepper ...
Choose the side dish you like best and let the dances begin! What not everyone tells you is that you can adjust the cooking time based on one crucial factor: the size of the fish!
If the fish is very large and you want to cook it together with the side dish, make sure to cut your side dishes according to the cooking times ... Or, ifmackerel is filletedsmall, you can bake the side dish first and then add the fish!
Herehow to cook mackerel in the oven:
- 2 fresh mackerel of about 500 gr each.
- 1 stick of celery
- 1 courgette
- 1 potato
- 1 carrot
- 1/2 bell pepper
- 1 fennel
- 1/2 glass of white wine
- extra virgin olive oil as required
- salt and pepper
Herehow to cook mackerel in the oven.
Clean and cut the vegetables into small cubes.
Clean the fish to obtain four fillets.
Place the fish on a baking sheet lined with special paper. Season with salt, oil and pepper. Add the vegetables cut into small cubes. Season the vegetables as well. Wet everything with wine.
Bake in a preheated oven, first at 180 ° C for 10 minutes and then continue cooking for another 3-5 minutes at 200 ° C. Be sure to monitor the cooking in the final part.
Mackerel: how to cook in foil
If you want to cook whole mackerel in the oven, you can do it in foil, this way you can increase the cooking times in the oven because the fish will stay moist for longer. In this context, use only one tablespoon of wine for each mackerel. Always keeping in mind the cooking times, in the foil with the mackerel you can also add the vegetables.
Here is the recipe forcooking mackerel in foil:
- 1 whole 20 cm mackerel, already cleaned
- 6 red tomatoes
- 6 yellow tomatoes
- 8 olives
- 8 capers
- salt and oil
- a spoonful of wine
- a clove of garlic
Place the mackerel on baking paper, in the belly, wet it with the wine and add the crushed garlic pulp.
In the foil, add all the vegetables. Sprinkle with plenty of oil, add salt and pepper.
Close the packet (in practice your packet will be a sheet of baking paper or a sheet of aluminum foil).
Bake in the oven at 180 ° C for 30 minutes. If, at the end of cooking, the liquids appear excessive, open the foil partially and let it dry with the oven off.
It can be useful:
- How to cook tuna
- How to cook perch