Theremarinatingis a culinary technique used on meats, fish and vegetables. It is used as an alternative to cooking itself or after cooking, even for pumpkin that's it: you can prepare the marinated pumpkin without cooking or after light cooking on the grill or boiled.
Theremarinated pumpkinit is a very tasty side dish for those who love vegetables. It can be combined with both meat and fish dishes. It has a delicate flavor that goes well with everything, even as a filling for a rustic tart.
How to marinate pumpkin
As with any marinade, even for the pumpkin it will be enough to clean it, cut it into slices and immerse it for a variable time in a liquid composed of vinegar, oil and some odor.
Let's start fromoriginal recipeof themarinated pumpkin without cooking. For the version of marinated pumpkin in oil, without cooking, it will be necessary to cut thinner slices of pumpkin. Here are the ingredients.
- 1 kg of sweet pumpkin
- salt,just enough
- White vinegar, just enough
- dried parsley
- extra virgin olive oil
How to make marinated pumpkin?
- Clean the pumpkin and cut it into thin slices.
- Layer the pumpkin in a colander and leave itto dryfor 3 to 4 hours.
- Transfer thepumpkin to marinatein a fairly large baking dish. Cover the squash with white vinegar.
- Let it rest andmarinatefor about an hour. The marinating time varies based on two factors, if you like the strong flavor of the vinegar, let it marinate longer. Similarly, if you have cut more double slices, leavemarinate the pumpkinlonger.
- Drain the pumpkin and place it on a kitchen towel to absorb the excess vinegar.
- Peel the garlic and chop it.
- Season the marinated pumpkin with extra virgin olive oil and garlic.
Raw marinated pumpkin in oil
If you want, you can prepare somejars of marinated pumpkin in oil. In this context, all you have to do is fill sterile jars with marinated pumpkin. Cover the pumpkin with plenty of oil. Wait a couple of hours, bring the oil back to level. Plug.
The jars ofmarinated pumpkin in oil, thus prepared, should be consumed within a week. You will need to keep it in the refrigerator.
Sweet and sour marinated pumpkin
For this variant you will need:
- 1 kg of pumpkin
- 1 liter of water
- 1 liter of white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of fine salt
- 6 level tablespoons of sugar
For the dressing: garlic cloves, parsley, chilli, extra virgin olive oil and salt.
- In a saucepan, boil the water, vinegar, salt and melt the sugar.
- Clean the pumpkin and cut it into slices or sticks.
- Blanch the pumpkin in boiling water for 4 - 5 minutes (depending on the thickness of the individual slices).
- Drain the pumpkin, transfer it to kitchen towels and let it dry.
- When the pumpkin has cooled, move it to a baking dish and season it.
Pumpkin in oil
Again, for thesweet and sour pumpkin in oiljust prepare some sterilized glass jars.
- Prepare airtight sterilized jars.
- Transfer thePumpkin Sweet & Sourin the jars.
- Cover the pumpkin with extra virgin olive oil.
- Add the toppings.
- Wait a few hours, in case of air bubbles, the oil level will drop and you will have to top up.
- Once the oil is level again, you can seal the jars.
Grilled marinated pumpkin
In this version, before marinating the pumpkin with vinegar, each slice must be grilled for a few minutes on both sides. In this recipe, slices 1 cm thick will be cut. Also in this case it will then be possible to move on to conservation with the preparation ofjars of pumpkin in oil.
Pumpkin alla scapece
Thererecipe for pumpkin alla scapecedoes not change much. The words "to the scapece"Is mostly used in Southern Italy and indicates a preparation similar to themarinating.
With the term "to the scapece”, However, the ingredients change. Traditionally to prepare thepumpkin alla scapeceparsley is not used but mint.
Once leftmarinate the pumpkin in vinegar, just season it with vinegar, garlic and fresh mint leaves. A very fine mince of hot pepper is always a very welcome option!